Friday, February 12, 2016

Cameras old and new...

I really like the fact that you can literally feel as though you've gone back in time. This can be done by applying vintage effects to photos, such as using a 70's in Picasa. Going back in time is a truly surreal kind of sense. There's nothing like it. There's just something about taking a picture that's recent and making into an old one that ceases to amaze me. These photos can show modernity. And it can make you look at our world in a totally different way. It's interesting to note how modern photos can still look different from old ones, even if you make the B&W! Cameras have improved since the wide use of film. I personally like the 70's feel to photos because it can give us a red tint to our photos. In the past, cameras couldn't calibrate color balance as well. This is because of the fact that they didn't quite record the light as well as we do. They were able to record more IR light than current cameras. And this has posed problems, even when using digital. Newer cameras don't have that ability, as they use stronger IR filters. This has it's pros and cons. A benefit is that we can record a more natural rendition of the world. A disadvantage would be that we can't really produce IR photos anymore. Some people really enjoy the art of IR with the use of an IR transmitting filter. And I would be one of them. However, I still  really want to produce amazing photos in the visible range of light. And I want to have better technology, with more pixels, better lens, etc. So with that, I can't pursue the surreal side of photography known as IR. So if you're wondering how cameras of different time periods compare, then point multiple cameras at a remote. My old compact camera, as well as camcorder, were able to see a bright signature being emitted by the transmitting end of a remote, even in indoor lighting! And now, I can't really see that signal with my most recent camera, even if I'm in the dark. I just don't understand why it needs to be this way. Maybe they need to stop making these current cameras with such powerful IR filters, so that I can explore the surreal side of things. Or they should just make them so that you can easily flip a switch to switch between IR and visible lighting. That way, we could use our cameras as night vision devices, as well as researching what our world looks like in this invisible spectrum.

No comments:

Post a Comment