Saturday, April 14, 2012

Severe weather outbreak

Today there is a large high risk of severe weather in the great plains. This is only the second time since high risk of severe has been predicted for more than a day in an advance, and Nebraska and Kansas have an 80% chance of tornado happening within five miles of any area. Today is a good day to watch the storms live at this website: http://live.tvnweather.com/. I will make sure to watch the dominator live today and we'll see how the day unfolds. Tomorrow the severe weather will move into Michigan where I may get to make some photos of lightning and nice clouds. If I do, I will try post my photos onto the blog.
Update: The storms in kansas reached a height of 50,000 feet. In Iowa, Tornadoes touched down as well as in Oklahoma and Kansas and the hail in Iowa was at least 4 inches in diameter- the radar showed the storms in Iowa reached a reflectivity of 75 dbz, which is the highest possible. Despite spending all day watching the dominator live, I didn't see it go into a tornado, but I did see it racing towards one as night fell. I saved a radar image of the insane storm in Iowa, and I have yet to figure out how to upload it here. Between April 14 and 15, over 135 tornadoes were reported with 124 warnings.

No comments:

Post a Comment