Friday, April 13, 2012

Pro photography techniques

I haven't written in a while and I've nearly forgotten about my blogger. Anyway, today I'll share some of  my knowledge of photography. I'll talk about what I do to make my photos stand out... (techniques which pros may use rather than usual photo edits)
One of the techniques I use is HDR (high dynamic range). This technique takes two or more images exposed differently to create extend a camera's dynamic range. Using software, the images can be merged. This helps lighten shadows and darken highlights. The software I use is qtpfsgui for GIMP and enfuseGUI, because they're free. EnfuseGUI is different than HDR software as it uses exposure fusion- the results turn out very well though. The thing I like about HDR versus enfuseGUI is that the sky is dark in the final image which I think looks appealing. This technique isn't always necessary as sometimes HDR images don't have enough contrast.
The next technique I use is to reduce noise cause by low long exposures or high ISOs. It's called averaging. It consists of taking multiple images from a tripod and combining them. I use a script in GIMP that does it. The images are layers. The top layer opacity is 100%, followed by the second (50% opacity), followed by the 3rd (33.3% opacity), and so on. (each layer is half of the opacity of the layer above it.) Use this for static objects.
A third technique is one that I don't have the software for but it may come in handy. It's called focus stacking. There's a way to do this in Photoshop. Or, you can purchase software called Helicon Focus. This comes in handy when you need infinite depth of field. What you do is, focus on the closest point that your photographing (switch ti manua focus) and move the focus farther out VERY SLOWELY and make sure the camera's not moving. Then, load the pics onto Helicon Focus and wait. Or, attach the camera to the computer and the software will control your camera. It will focus your camera for you and you can also use the software for time lapse.
Increasing resolution: If you want to increase your resolution, first put the camera on tripod. Make a mosaic out of multiple images- like panoramas on top of each other- by rotating the camera. The lens you use will determine how wide the image's field of view will be. So, if you don't want a huge field of view, try it with a telephoto lens. Use full resolution. Make a row of images going left to right. Rotate the camera to make another row. A specialized kind of tripod is available now to help- named Gigapan, it automatically does it for you. To stitch the images, use Microsoft ICE.
The techniques I described here can make your photos look as if you used a much better camera, without spending more money.  

No comments:

Post a Comment